There are infinite possibilities for your dogs ear when it comes to dogs ear infections home remedies. The good news is that the materials are usually widely available and fairly inexpensive, but the bad news is that many are untested and could cause problems in higher concentrations. Common ingredients include:
- Tea Tree oil comes from the twigs and leaves of the Australian Melaleuca tree. It is a clear to pale yellow liquid and is an ingredient commonly used in home remedies which treat dog ear infections in combination with other ingredients. Tea Tree oil is a natural fungicide, antiseptic, antimicrobial, and parasiticide.
- Garlic has been shown to have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties and has been used in home remedies to treat ear infections in dogs. Garlic tea is made from boiling garlic cloves into a tea and is used in home remedies to treat many common dog ear infections.
- Acetic acid is just vinegar, however there are many kinds of vinegar and their pH can vary. Vinegar is an excellent part of a dog ear infection home remedy and is widely cited among people who prefer natural products for their pets over laboratory chemicals and enzymes. Acetic acid has been said to make the ear less tolerable to ear infection parasites.
- Eucalyptus Oil is the name of the oil distilled from the leaf of the Eucalyptus plant. Eucalyptus oil is said to be effective in many dog ear infections as an antibacterial as well as an anti-inflamatory. It is also used in home remedies as an insect repellant in some areas.
- Neem oil is an oil pressed from the fruits and seeds of the neem tree. It has been widely used in India as a pesticide on plants and it is beginning to gain acceptance as a home remedy for dog ear infections.
- Brilliant green comes from a specie of green algae and has been used in medicine to treat infections of the eye, tongue, ears and sinuses for many years. In dogs, it has been used mostly as a home remedy for ear infections, has also been widely used in aquariums to combat infections and parasites in fish. It is normally diluted when used for medicinal purposes. Brilliant green’s effectiveness in dog ear infections is due to its strong bactericidal properties.
- Green tea extract is a solution containing the soft extracts of green tea leaves and is used in many home remedies from deodorants to antioxidation. It is used in some home remedies for treating dogs ear infections and is said to have antiinflammatory effects.
- Certain kinds of alcohols are used to help with dogs ear infections as an antiseptic agent as well as being extremely useful as a drying aid. Alcohol is considered harmless when used topically.
In spite of all these great options for treating your dogs ear infection, we recommend choosing EcoEars, an all natural ear cleaning solution which contains a wide spectrum of naturally occurring Gram positive and Gram negative antimicrobials. According to our veterinarian, it is extremely effective and our own experience backs that up. It is an ear cleaner with all natural ingredients which has been found effective on most common canine ear infections (Staph, Strep, Fungal, Mites and Yeast.) EcoEars contains many of the ingredients listed on this page, but you will find it is much less expensive to buy an all-in-one product such as this than to buy them individually by yourself. Put another way, the cost is a fraction of the cost of 1 single vet visit and the manufacturer guarantees that it will work or you get your money back. And it’s available on Amazon.