There are many effective treatments for a dogs ear infection. The veterinary industry favors treatments such as commercial antibiotics, pesticides, fungicides and viricides, although many safe, natural products are available today which are believed to be equally effective or even superior due to their broad target nature. Here’s what you need to know about treating your dog’s ear infection:
- Clean the ears and affected area at least daily during treatment for a dog ear infection
- Remove excess ear hair by pulling it out from the root with hemostats. This normally does not hurt your dog.
- Canine bacterial ear infections are considered either Gram positive or Gram negative depending on the specie which caused the infection. Medications that target Gram positive will not normally be effective on Gram negative canine ear infections and vice versa.
- External ear infections are normally treated by vets with oral and topical antibiotics and cortisone. For the most part, these medications require a prescription from your vet:
- Gentamycin is an antibiotic typically used to treat Gram negative type bacterial ear infections in dogs.
- Cefalexin is a Gram positive antibiotic commonly used to treat dog ear infections. It is marketed under many names.
- Nystatin, Neomycin, Thiostrepton and Triammicnolone are medications commonly prescribed to treat Gram positive bacterial infections.
- Oral antibiotics such as fluoroquinolone antibiotics are commonly used to treat dog ear infections, however the dog must be observed for side effects or allergies. These are mostly used to treat Gram negative bacterial infections and were the same antibiotics that had their FDA approval revoked for use in water to treat poultry flocks in 2005.
- Combination medications including antimicrobials, corticosteriods and antifungals are sometimes used to treat dog ear infections. They are normally in ointment format and are not as easy to use as liquid products.
In spite of all these great options for treating your dogs ear infection, we recommend choosing EcoEars, an all natural ear cleaning solution which contains a wide spectrum of naturally occurring Gram positive and Gram negative antimicrobials. It is extremely effective, and is now available on Amazon. EcoEars is effective on most common canine ear infections (Staph, Strep, Fungal, Mites and Yeast.) The cost is a fraction of the cost of 1 single vet visit and it is guaranteed to work by the manufacturer.